Fore Letter Words
I was going to start this article about how I fell into the frustrating game of golf (#!@%!##***!). What is more important and of value to you, is that through my steps of becoming a “golfer” (I own a beginner set with 7 clubs—that makes me a golfer, right?!) my husband and I found the Pines Country Club in Valley, Nebraska. We had never heard of it! It is a wonderful golf course at an amazing price.
I started golfing when a friend begged me to sub for her team. All they needed was a warm body. I qualified and caved in. I subbed a few more times, and the rest is history, as they say.
My husband was EXCITED about my new interest in golf and wanted to join a golf club. We found the Pines though a friend’s recommendation.
Just like when my husband taught me to drive a stick shift car, learning to golf together proved to be a true test of marriage! When we golfed together, I wanted to talk WAY too much. He wanted to teach me how to string 4-letter words together. We were not having fun. It took us quite awhile to work the kinks out, but a year or more later, we found a “compromise”. He does not string 4-letter words together any more, and I STILL talk way too much!
Great compromise don’t you think?
Large undulating greens, often cut short and quick
From my perspective what I appreciate about the Pines Country Club is how welcoming the ladies are. When I started golfing at the Pines, I would toss up a 9 hole score of 74 — ouch! Who knows how many times I picked up my ball just to keep moving! In those days, if I made contact with the ball AND it went straight, THAT was time for the ‘golf happy dance’. It is an easy course to walk since it is on fairly level terrain and wide open (which comes in handy when you can’t hit straight). The members take pride in the course. The large, challenging greens are always well cared for along with the rest of the 18 hole course.
Who doesn’t like food?!
- The Pines’ clubhouse has a dining room, dance floor, bar and full service kitchen. There is a snack bar and grill on the lower level. See their menu online! Call them for your next event (402) 359-4311
- There are lockers, showers and a pro shop located in the clubhouse. Sign up for a golf lesson! I got my Sky Caddie from the pro shop (yes I have golf toys…).
- You can rent golf carts, clubs and pull carts. Click here to see their rate sheet.
- Golf leagues! Kids 1-hole league for beginners to adult leagues.
- A few of the popular outings/events: The Divorce Open, Breakfast Scramble, Couples Fun Nights, and the Sand Valley Classic to name a few.
- Putting green, chipping green, practice bunker, driving range to help hone your skills.
- ONLY $50 a year to hit all the balls you want on the driving range! This is a steal!
- Dues (as I write this): $130 for a single membership, $165 for a family membership.
- Wonderful members and staff.
With one step at a time, I found myself a member at the Pines Country Club in Valley, Nebraska. You don’t have to be a member to play a round, but you do need to join for the leagues and outings. One last amusing note, I PAY the dues, my husband is the “spouse”. I CARRY my clubs when we play 9 holes (remember, I only have 7 clubs). He uses a fancy shmansy pull cart!
Share with me your favorite Omaha golf course! Tell me your golf stories!