W. Clarke Swanson Branch
The W. Clarke Swanson branch of the Omaha Public Library system, commonly known as the Swanson Branch, is a large branch library opened in 1966. There is ample parking; the book drop off is a free standing unit in the lot to the east of the building. The library has 142,534 books in its collection.
Manya Shorr is the Swanson Branch Manager.
Regular Events Programming
Friday, 10:30 – Family Story Time
A fun reading event for children and their parents, stories, finger plays, and activities.
Saturday, 10:30 – Dad & Me Story Time
A special Saturday storytime for dads, grandparents, uncles, older brothers—you get the idea—and their little ones. Swanson is the only branch to offer this program.
Unique to Swanson
Rent a Librarian
A new program, Swanson is one of the only libraries to offer it. Anyone with a library card can book an hour of one-on-one time, for free, with the Adult Reference Librarian. The librarian will be able to help educate patrons on research methods, how to use library databases (like the business databases designed to help businesses save money), how to get the highest quality results from internet searches (Google, Yahoo!, Bing), or how to tackle a “special project.”
Rent a Computer Geek
Another new program, Swanson is one of the only libraries to offer it. Anyone with a library card can book an hour of one-on-one time, for free, with a certified Computer Geek. Don’t be scared of the computer! Whether you own a computer or wish to use one of the library’s, the Computer Geek can start with the basics (like how to use a mouse) or dive in to advanced word processing, internet search, and database/information search techniques.
- Free wi-fi/computer usage
- Periodicals (magazines, newspapers)
- DVD movies
- Audiobooks (books on CD)
- Audio CDs
- eCollection (download videos, eBooks, and iPod compatible MP3 books from home!)
- Pick up/return to any of 12 branches (or search the catalog from your home computer and have books delivered to your local branch!)
- Reciprocal agreements with Lincoln, Council Bluffs, and Ralston Libraries
- Access to virtually any book (suggest a purchase for releases two years old or newer; use an interlibrary loan for older items and pay only shipping)
Loading Viddler Videos