The Benson Branch of the Omaha Public Library system is a medium-sized, neighborhood branch library. It has a long history in the Benson community, becoming part of the OPL system in 1942. There is ample parking; the book drop off is located in the alley on the south side of the building. The library has 68,032 books in its collection.
Theresa Jehlik is the Benson Branch Manager.
Regular Events Programming
Wednesday and Thursday mornings, 10:30 to 11:15 – Toddler/Preschool Story Time
Stories, rhymes, and music with child librarian Ms. Lori. All ages are welcome, but the event is programmed for children 3 to 5. Wednesday is geared toward daycares and larger groups (please call ahead); Thursday is geared toward stay at home moms, nannies, etc. and feature more crafts and 1 on 1 attention
Every other Wednesday, 4:45 to 5:25 – 5th-6th Grade Book Club
A chance to meet with other children who enjoy reading. Discussions and book selections will be aided by Ms. Lori.
2nd Tuesday of the Month, 6:30 to 7:30 – Mystery Book Club
An adult book club featuring presenters and lively discussion, focusing on the mystery genre
Unique to Benson
Head of children’s programming, Ms. Lori is responsible for the Toddler Storytime, Preschool Storytime, and the 5th-6th Grade Book Club.
Carol, Teen Librarian
Head of teen programming and knowledgeable about Young Adult fiction, Carol tries to recommend books to teens on an individual basis. She also provides a mentoring role to children in the community, providing Benson youth with someone to talk to when they’re in need.
Services available to library card holders
- Free wi-fi/computer usage
- Periodicals (magazines, newspapers)
- DVD movies
- Audiobooks (books on CD)
- Audio CDs
- eCollection (download videos, eBooks, and iPod compatible MP3 books from home!)
- Pick up/return to any of 12 branches (or search the catalog from your home computer and have books delivered to your local branch!)
- Reciprocal agreements with Lincoln, Council Bluffs, and Ralston Libraries
- Access to virtually any book (suggest a purchase for releases two years old or newer; use an interlibrary loan for older items and pay only shipping)